VNA Hospice is proud to offer a Palliative Care Consultation Team to help patients facing life-limiting illnesses and their families learn about care options, program eligibility and end-of-life issues.
What can the Palliative Care Consultation Team do for you?
- Provide assessment by an experienced palliative care team with a board-certified physician
- Provide quality-of-life improvements
- Provide support in decision-making and guidance to patients, physicians, nurses and family caregivers concerning treatment options, care planning and placement issues
- Provide expertise in pain and symptom management
- Offer emotional and spiritual support to patients and families
- Consult with caregivers, medical and nursing staff on how to talk about palliative care with patients and families
- Provide individualized care and resources for coping with denial, depression, loss and grief
- Identify program eligibility and coordinate services for home care and equipment, Hospice, Medicaid, Medicare, VA benefits and other community resources
How does the team work?
- Consultation with patients by phone call, visit or per the request(s) of other professional providers
- Assists in the development of a care plan with patients’ own physicians
Taking the Next Step
- Step 1: Anyone can request a consultation. We start by conferring with your physician in order to determine if a palliative care consultation is appropriate.
- Step 2: If a palliative care consultation is right for you, our physician, nurse or social worker will visit you, assess your physical needs and provide emotional support.
- Step 3: We then make recommendations to the referring physician for enhancing your care and will provide follow-up. We keep your physician and other health care providers well-informed about the consultation, as well as any follow-up visits.
Palliative care consultation by VNA Hospice may be covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and some commercial insurance. For more information, please call 772.567.5551.