Influenza, commonly known as “the flu,” is a serious, acute respiratory illness, caused by a virus, that can lead to pneumonia. Immunization helps strengthen your body’s natural immune response against the flu. The flu shot stimulates your immune system to build antibodies against the virus, making it stronger and ready to fight off the flu.
Why get your flu shot from the VNA
Individuals who get their flu shot from one of the VNA’s Shoo the Flu clinics is supporting a local non-profit organization. Money raised from our flu shot program stays within our community and helps the VNA’s initiative of providing vital health and wellness services to all people in need regardless of their ability to pay. Each flu clinic is staffed by nurses who are available to answer questions about the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
This year, the VNA is providing the following shots:
- Regular-dose preservative-free
- High-dose (age 65 and older only)
Please remember to bring your primary insurance card to the flu clinic.
It is important to take the time to get vaccinated:
- The CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses.
- Vaccination of high risk persons is especially important to decrease their risk of severe flu illness.
- People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease, and people 65 years and older.
Flu Clinic Request Form